Venice: From dawn to dusk (May 15-18th 2014)
Anthony will lead this intensive workshop held over four days where you’ll learn professional photo techniques on the move as your wander through the beautiful streets of Venice. Learn how to capture unique photos of both the iconic Venetian views as well heading off the beaten track.
Dawn in Venice is a time of quiet, calm beauty, when the usually bustling streets are virtually silent and you have the city to yourself. You’ll wander through the alleyways, cross the canals, pause on the hundreds of tiny bridges and see the epic Venetian vistas as dawn breaks and the sun rises up over the city. Dawn is hugely atmospheric, creating a sense of wonder and rejuvenation unlike any other time of day.
This workshop will also take in the bustle of the the day and early evening Venice, led by photographer Anthony Epes. Before the workshop Anthony will send a detailed questionnaire for each participant to fill out, to help him to tailor the workshop to each individual.
This four day photo adventure will include:
- A meet and greet lunch where Anthony will introduce you to the key technical and creative concepts of the workshop
- An afternoon/early evening photo walk on the first day of your workshop
- Two photo walks at dawn. Starting an hour before sunrise, Anthony will take you on a journey through the empty streets of Venice just as dawn breaks. You’ll wander the cobbled backstreets, photograph St Marks from the Grand Canal, and traverse the many tiny canals as you follow the sun around the city. There will be a quick coffee and breakfast stop before finishing at the bustling Rialto market for some street photography.
- Individual portfolio review with Anthony. He will provide detailed feedback on your work and tips and guidance on how to develop your photography
- Plentiful opportunities for group and individual shooting throughout the day and into evening/night
- Enjoy the company of like-minded people, who are as passionate about photography as you are
- Ending with a group image review. A very popular part of the course, where the group will provide feedback on each of our work and you will have the chance to ask Anthony any lingering questions.
Anthony has spent several years photographing beautiful cities at dawn for his book series and exhibitions. He has tirelessly searched the streets for new, interesting views, discovered fascinating unfamiliar sites and worked hard to find a vision of the cities that captures its spirit but offers something new and fresh. Anthony would like to share his Venice at Dawn adventure with 8 beginner and intermediate photographers. Find out what past participants have said about our workshops.
Improve your technical and creative skills in our comprehensive workshop
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN & EXPERIENCE
- Learn to shoot on manual and why creative exposures can make the difference between a good shot and a great shot
- Get the low down on creative compositions and how it can make your photography stand out from the crowd
- Meet the challenge of shooting in the changing light of dawn
- Spend time with a group of like-minded photographers – discussing photography, getting feedback and working together to improve your skills
- Immerse yourself in early morning light of this beautiful city and find ways to capture your own vision of Venice
- Eat amazing local food from the best spots that Anthony has sought out in his many months of Venetian eating (he’s a foodie as well!)
- See our Photography Guide in the top menu.
- Welcome lunch
- All Breakfasts: Breakfast and coffee on Fri and Sat will be picked up from the local cafes during the workshops
- Photography tuition over 4 days including individual portfolio review
- Travel to Venice
- Any meals not mentioned
- Travel or medical insurance
- Additional drinks or any additional hotel room charges
- Designed for beginner and intermediate photographers, a basic understanding of how your camera operates is recommended.
- Walking shoes
- A tripod and DSLR are essential.
- A laptop to process your images is recommended but not essential – you will be able to view images on a computer regardless.
- Please note the workshops are in English only.
Terms and Conditions
See our terms and conditions page for workshops terms.
Please advise us on booking of any dietary requirements.